27. XRP's Ripple effect and Blockchain use cases
In the first show of 2018 Simon Taylor and Colin G Platt bring you the week's news, plus an interview with Coindesk's Peter Rizzo.
Welcome to the very first show of 2018! We kick off the year with a bang, including some of the biggest stories from the holiday season, our predictions for 2018 and an interview with Peter Rizzo, Editor at Coindesk.
First up on the first show of 2018 we take a look at Blockchain and crypto predictions for the year to come. Why will this be the year that institutional investors really get involved? Will 2018 be the year that web 3.0 takes off? How will ICOs evolve through 2018, and will pump and dump syndicates come under regulatory scrutiny? Check out Simon's 2018 blog right here.
Next, it's fast-becoming a weekly feature, it's the cryptocurrency prices piece. On its 9th birthday, we ask how high Bitcoin can really go? Plus, Ether brings in the new year with a record high, and who are the crypto Billionaires getting rich from Ripple's XRP?
Is it really true that nobody has come up with a use case for Blockchain in ten years? And is current technology simply the first stage in a wave of change that will take place over the next 10 to 20 years?
10 points to Colin, who, just two days into 2018, has already nailed one of his predictions for the year. So why has the ECB's Yves Mersch called Bitcoin a major threat to financial stability?
Next in the news, we discuss how the US has closed a crypto loophole, and whether this will hit the market.
What's up with Revolut? Or rather, what's up with Revolut crypto rates? How do they apply and how do they compare to other options?
This week we're also very lucky to hear from Pete Rizzo, Editor at Coindesk, a leading industry news source. Pete explains how Coindesk went about curating 2017's Most Influential list and how they aimed to reach a consensus on the most influential players in DLT in 2017.
And we didn't have time to talk about: whether Israel's central bank is considering digital currency; Putin's view on a possible CryptoRouble; and Blockchain's impact on the NHS. Check out the links below for all the stories we've discussed today.
Missing out on the conversation? Tweet the show @bchaininsider or to read more about the news stories and have your say visit fintechinsidernews.com.
Special Guest: Pete Rizzo.
- 2018 Blockchain and Cryptocurrency Outlook: Expert Blo... | News | Cointelegraph
- 2018 Blockchain Predictions - Are YOU Ready? - 11:FS
- Bitcoin: How High Can Bitcoin's Price Go in 2018? | Fortune
- Over $900: Ether Starts 2018 at All-Time Price High - CoinDesk
- Meet The Crypto Billionaires Getting Rich From Ripple's XRP
- Ten years in, nobody has come up with a use for blockchain
- What you really need to know about Revolut Crypto rates
- Putin Investigating 'Cryptorouble' as Way to Avoid Western Sanctions
- John Mann MP: Bitcoin's blockchain technology could have huge impact on how the NHS works
- Most Influential 2017 Archives - CoinDesk
- ECB's Yves Mersch Calls Bitcoin a 'Major Threat' to Financial Stability
- Goldman Sees Crypto, Credit Shadowing Robust 2018 U.S. Economy
- Cryptocurrency Investors Lose Major Tax Break Under New U.S. Tax Code
- Israel central bank mulls issuing digital currency for faster payments
- Hooters Franchisee Surges 41% on Cryptocurrency Rewards Program