259. News: Dirty Money
In this episode Aden and Simon are joined by regulars Kadhim and Liz for the news. This week we find […]
In this episode
Aden and Simon are joined by regulars Kadhim and Liz for the news. This week we find out if it’s really necessary to use VR in banking; and, as ATMs are dying and costing banks to run, we discuss the pros and cons of hard cash versus digital transactions – and the various reasons why people are still keen on cash.
We also myth-bust the theory that consumers are less trusting of robots or AI for banking and money movements than they would be for major surgery; and if it’s true Google can track what you’re buying online and offline via your credit card purchases – and how do we feel about this? Finally, the team debate the importance of big banks and banking regulators beginning to pay attention to fintech, and why Chicago should be a fintech hub, but isn’t.
- Elizabeth Lumley FinTech commentator & Author of girl-disrupted.com
- Kadhim Shubber, Reporter at Financial Times
News this week
- Finextra – BNP Paribas jumps into virtual reality – Link
- Finextra – Bank of America preps data sharing service – Link
- Finextra – Dutch banks bid to manage falling cash use through joint ATM network – Link
- HSBC partners with AI startup to combat money laundering – Link
- Bloomberg – HSBC Discovers Consumers Trust Robots for Surgery Over Savings – Link
- MIT Techreview – Google Now Tracks Your Credit Card Purchases and Connects Them to Its Online Profile of You – Link
- President of the ECB talks Fintech – Link
- Sydney Morning Herald – China’s P2P lending market 24x bigger than the US fintech lending market – Link
- Coindesk – India’s ‘BankChain’ Consortium Launches Blockchain KYC System – Link
- Chicago should be a fintech hub but why isn’t it? – Link
The post Ep259 – News: Dirty Money appeared first on 11:FS.
Special Guests: Kadhim Shubber and Liz Lumley.