Ep215 – Cookies, Funny Money & What if Amazon Buys Capital One?
In this episode Amazon is looking to buy Capital One, or so goes the rumour. It’s been predicted for a long […]
In this episode
Amazon is looking to buy Capital One, or so goes the rumour. It’s been predicted for a long time that Google, Apple, Facebook, and Amazon would get into financial services, but Amazon is the only one of those companies that specifically needs a payments facility in their core business. James Arscott, CCO of invstr, joins us to discuss this and other headlines, including bitcoin going from funny money to something legit in Japan.
We also talk to TrueLayer CEO Francesco Simoneschi on banks becoming software companies; to BBVA Open Innovation Manager Marisol Menendez about BBVA’s competition to find a new model for low interest rate banking; and BodeTree CEO Chris Myers about the three steps FinTechs need to take to survive.
News this week
- Business Insider – Innovative app-only banks are doing something old fashioned — lending money – Link
- The Telegraph – Co-op Bank puts itself up for sale as it braces for another ‘significant’ loss – Link
- Level39 – L39 API member TrueLayer comes out of stealth; secures $1.3m funding –
- Nikkei Asian Review – Japanese megabanks raise bets on fintech – Link
- Finextra – BBVA seeks new model for low interest rate banking – Link
- Telegraph – Pay as you speak: Santander revamps voice banking app – Link
- Banking Technology – Amazon looking to buy Capital One? – Link
- Finextra – Australian banks fight back over Apple Pay ‘fantasy’ claims – Link
- International Business Times – Apple, Facebook and Amazon primed for PSD2 demolition of the card networks – Link
- Forbes – 3 Steps Fintech Companies Need To Take In Order To Survive – Link
- Medium – Get paid to read email from outside your network with a 21 profile – Link
Are you listening to this podcast while on a nice little jog? If so, woo-hoo! We hope we motivated you. Could we ask a favour in return? Please take a sec to review us on iTunes so more people can discover us. Thanks in advance! Love, FinTech Insider.
The post Ep215 – Cookies, Funny Money & What if Amazon Buys Capital One? appeared first on 11FS.
The post Ep215 – Cookies, Funny Money & What if Amazon Buys Capital One? appeared first on 11:FS.