30. Bitcoin Falls, Whales Rise and an Interview With bitFlyer CEO
After the fallout from the crypto bloodbath last week, Simon and Colin discuss how regulators continue to monitor these monumental price spikes and subsequent dumps. We also bring you interviews with bitFlyer's CEO and founder Yuzo Kano and COO Andy Bryant
After the market beatdown, Simon and Colin dissect the sustainability of current prices and how much longer regulators will stand idly by whilst pump and dumps continue to happen. Our first story comes from Coindesk, talking about the price action where Bitcoin 'defended' the $11,000 mark. Conversely, the Evening Standard came out with a story claiming investors were swapping their bitcoin for physical gold- are people actually swapping digital gold for it's physical counterpart? Staying with Bitcoin (shock, horror), Forbes claim that criminals are dropping BTC for other cryptocurrencies due to expensive, lengthy transactions. Criminals are apparently preferring more private coins.
Cryptocurrency exchange Coinbase recorded $1 Billion in revenue! The exchange exploded in 2017, so it's no surprise that it's booked such lofty numbers as the interest in cryptocurrencies continues to grow. Moving on and more from Coindesk, regulators gon' regulate as the SEC outlines reasons for reluctance to list cryptocurrency ETF's.
Next, Shell has just made its first investment in blockchain with UK startup Applied Blockchain, and we have the pleasure of bringing you a soundbite from CEO Adi Ben-Ari! He explains what Applied Blockchain do, and how it's easy for Developers/Engineers to 'see through' certain crypto projects. Staying with large companies sticking their hands in the blockchain pie, IBM and Maersk form new blockchain company for international cargo which will automate paperwork for shipping across international borders.
And lastly, Swift have signed an agreement with 7CSD's to explore blockchain post trade processes. Although no specific details have been leaked, Swift have claimed that the agreement is more exploratory in its nature. One to watch.
We also bring you interviews with bitFlyer's CEO and founder Yuzo Kano and COO Andy Bryant, as the largest Japanese cryptocurrency exchange comes to Europe!
Please do make sure to listen to the last 2 minutes for some great Orca/Whale related gags as Simon, Colin and the production team are struck by a giggling disease.
We hope you enjoy the show and, as ever, don't forget to subscribe.
Want to join the conversation on all the topics discussed? Tweet the show @bchaininsider and if you really love the show, why not leave us a review on iTunes?
Special Guests: Adi Ben-Ari, Andy Bryant, and Yuzo Kano.
- Bitcoin Defends $11,000 Mark and Eyes Move Higher - CoinDesk
- Bitcoin price plummet sees investors swap cryptocurrency for solid gold | London Evening Standard
- Bitcoin: Crooks Drop Bitcoin for Monero Cryptocurrency | Fortune
- Bitcoin broker Coinbase booked $1 billion in revenue last year - Recode
- SEC Outlines Reasons for Reluctance to List Cryptocurrency ETFs - CoinDesk
- Shell just made its first investment in blockchain with UK startup Applied Blockchain | City A.M.
- IBM, Maersk Form New Blockchain Company for International Cargo
- Swift Signs Agreement With 7 CSDs to Explore Blockchain for Post-Trade - CoinDesk