Ep. 271. News: LIVE from Money20/20 Europe
In this episode We bring you our first ever live podcast, recorded in front of a live audience at Money20/20 […]
In this episode
We bring you our first ever live podcast, recorded in front of a live audience at Money20/20 Europe, Copenhagen.
With all four of our regular hosts, David Brear, Jason Bates, Simon Taylor and Chris Skinner, plus six fantastic guests from the world of fintech and banking (and previous podcasts), they discuss the latest news and stories with additional audience interaction, including:
Goldman Sachs’ lending business hitting its first $1bn mark, is this a good thing or is it old news?, the pros and cons of card use and card readers vs smartphone points of sale – as pioneered by Jack Dorsey’s Square; and the merits of Will.i.am as an advisor to Atom Bank and personification of their market sector, which opens up discussion of who other banks would be if they were a pop star.
We also hear Starling’s own Megan Cawood on their European expansion and Simon and Ajit lead the audience into a cryptocurrency Q&A explaining the Ethereum “flash crash” and what this means for Ethereum’s future, and cryptocurrency in general, and they attempt to address the same old question: is it a bubble, should I hold or sell?
- Ali Patterson – Editor in Chief, FinTech Finance
- Leda Glyptis – Chief Innovation Officer, Qatar National Bank
- Meaghan Johnson – Co-founder and Director of Research at 11:FS
- Jamie Campbell – Head of Awareness at Bud
- Ajit Tripathi – Director, Fintech and Digital Banking, PWC
- Megan Caywood – Chief Platform Officer, Starling Bank
News this week
- Business Insider – Goldman Sachs’ new online lending business has already hit a $1 billion milestone – Link
- Financial Review – Square gets green light to take on banks with ‘PIN on glass’ mobile technology – Link
- Tech City News -Will.i.am reveals why he became an advisor to UK FinTech startup Atom Bank – Link
- Venture Beat – Stripe refocuses European effort with 6 new markets and expanded payments platform – Link
- Tech Crunch – Starling Bank passports to Europe, first stop Ireland – Link
- CNBC – Despite $319 to 10 cents flash crash, ethereum still has massive potential, says digital currency expert – Link
- Techcrunch – Coinbase is reimbursing losses caused by the Ethereum flash crash – Link
- Bloomberg – Jack Ma’s Ant Financial Nearly Doubles Profits Amid Deal Push – Link