Ep. 203. Fintech Insider After Dark V - Part 1 London - Partying & PayPal
We’re live from the 11:FS offices in Aldgate Tower to bring you After Dark V live! Simon, Ross, and new host Sarah are joined by Megan Caywood, Liz Lumley, and Richard Davies. The panel talk about the latest weird and wonderful news from the world of fintech.
Our After Dark shows are always exciting and this one’s no different. In front of an amazing audience the panel kicks things off with Paypal’s new movements.
M-Pesa wallet goes online thanks to a collaboration between Paypal and Safaricom. Meanwhile over in the USA, Paypal is making moves towards more traditional banking in a bid to connect those without bank accounts to the digital economy.
Young coders might be avoiding London over Brexit fears. But is Brexit a real problem for the fintech space and are coders leaving or is the talent rush just slowing down?
Andy Murray lobs over an interesting bit of fintech news by betting that British Fintech is going to a smash hit. But how big is he betting?
Accenture released their wealth management report on the next era, focusing on Millennials. Despite all the good stats on what Millenials want, can a one-size-fits-all digital experience ever work?
Amazon targets teens, the online bookshop-turned-retail-monolith wants to get to teenagers before the banks are able to. It’s a common tactic used to establish brand loyalty while consumers are young.
Sweden turns against cashlessness amid fears it puts us at risk of attack, with 70% of Swedes wanting to retain some use of cash. But 40% of Britons say they can see themselves going completely cashless in the future. So why is there such a split?
Square’s Cash App arrives in the UK, it’s a potential competitor to Venmo, but can it survive in the UK amongst platforms like Starling and Monzo?
Rounding out the stories tonight, it turns out that the wild entrepreneur John McAfee is charging $105,000 per tweet promoting digital coins and Initial Coin Offerings. Yet another dodgy story on the man who had a very suspicious time in Belize with murdered neighbours and suspected drug dealers. His life is a movie deal waiting to happen.
We hope you enjoyed the show! Subscribe so you never miss an episode, and if you want to show us some love then please leave a review on iTunes.
Let us know your thoughts @FintechInsiders and join the discussion by signing up at Fintech Insider News.
Definitely tweet us if you were at After Dark live with us! We always love hearing from you all.
Special Guests: Liz Lumley, Megan Caywood, and Richard Davies.
- M-Pesa wallet goes online in collaboration with PayPal
- PayPal Makes a Move Toward Traditional Banking
- Threat to fintech industry as young coders shun London over Brexit
- Charlotte Crosswell: “Fintech is our best chance post-Brexit”
- Why Andy Murray Is Betting Big On British Fintech
- Millennials and Money: Next Era of Wealth Management | Accenture
- Amazon Wants to Get to Teenagers Before the Banks Do
- 'Being cash-free puts us at risk of attack': Swedes turn against cashlessness
- 40% of Brits ready to stop using cash, according to exclusive research from Kantar TNS. - Business Insider
- Cash App - Send Money Instantly
- McAfee charges $105k per tweet to promote an ICO