Ep. 190. News: Imagine if the Kardashians could code
For International Women's Day, Producer Laura and Sarah Kocianski co-host the news show alongside special guests, Caroline Plumb, CEO of Fluidly, Klarna's Laurel Wolfe and 11:FS' own Veronique Constans.
Kicking off with the biggest news, we talked about the gender pay gap, who has 'fessed up and who hasn't, why the disparity in earnings is no great surprise, and what can be done to improve diversity in all its forms across the industry.
We also discuss why women are put off tech careers before they even leave school (and why Reddit isn't the most scientific way to collect data), why female tech role models are desperately needed, why enthusiasm for app-only banks is on the wane, Monzo's marketplace launch in beta, and what Atom will do with their latest round of funding.
Next up are the two biggest Amazon stories of the week - their proposed plans for a checking account product with either JPMorgan or CapitalOne and Jeff Bezos' refusal to lose India, having conceded China to Alibaba. We also have a mini section on corporate social responsibility as Nuns (and other trading bodies) call out unethical practices at WellsFargo, and Kabbage take a strong stand in the light of the tragiv Parkland shootings.
And finally, in the sillier part of the show we take a look at Xinja's glow in the dark payment cards, and Donorfy's GDFR playlist - is it (in REM's words) The End of the World As We Know It?
We hope you enjoy the show!
Don't forget to subscribe so you never miss an episode and if you really love us please leave us a review on iTunes!
Let us know your thoughts @FintechInsiders and join the discussion by signing up at Fintech Insider News.
Special Guests: Caroline Plumb, Laurel Wolfe, Sarah Kocianski, and Veronique Constans.
- Investment banks face fury over gender pay gap
- Barclays's gender pay gap sees women earning 43.5 per cent less than men
- FinTech Parity Pledge – Making FinTech better, one step at a time
- Royal Bank of Scotland reveals 37% gender pay gap
- Financial services among worst for UK gender pay gap
- Lloyds Bank has published its gender pay gap with women earning 33 per cent less than men | City A.M.
- Survey Reveals Women Put Off Tech by Age 15
- Brits are souring on app-only startup banks
- Monzo launches their marketplace in beta
- Atom bank raises £149m in latest fundraising round
- After Losing China, Jeff Bezos Really Wants to Win in India
- Catholic nuns push Wells Fargo to identify ‘root causes’ of scandals
- Lender Kabbage responds to Parkland shooting with donations, a walkout & ending business with manufacturers & suppliers of firearms
- OMG Xinja has glow in the dark cards
- New GDPR Spotify playlist is music to data protection officers’ ears