159. News: Mascots of the Internet
Jason Bates and Simon Taylor are joined by Kadhim Shubber, Liz Lumley, Sarah Kocianski and wonderful surprise guest Ghela Boskovich.
First up this week, the guys tackle the news that Revolut is into crypto! Can they break down the divide between old and new money? And is it dangerous that retail investors have such simple access to cryptocurrencies? And, hot on the heels of Revolut, Square has been running a trial on Cash App, a rival to Venmo, that has allowed a small number of users to purchase bitcoin.
Next up, the report on the overhaul of the core banking system. And, as we at 11:FS know only too well, what a task that is! So why is it that banks need help to do it and how can they mitigate the risks involved?
The FCA has announced a successful third round of its regulatory sandbox, with 61 applications and 18 accepted into the next stage, including Curl, Bud, Nationwide and Orca.
And in a surprising twist (?), the European Commission has announced that it has extended the deadline for banks to meet new payment standards. So what are the most controversial changes and when's the new deadline?
We also bring you a special interview with New10 CEO Mark Schroder, who talks about their partnership with ABN AMRO and what it’s like to be a fintech grown within an incumbent bank.
Plus, N26 has launched a premium credit card and Liz Lumley is not impressed ("this is not news"); why America might have missed the fintech boat in India; and we couldn't let the news pass without talking about CryptoKitties.
Thanks to all our guests, and thank you for listening. Spread the word, tell your friends and don't forget to leave us a review on iTunes.
If you want to get in touch, drop us a line at email@example.com or on Twitter @FintechInsiders and follow us on Facebook.
Special Guests: Ghela Boskovich, Kadhim Shubber, Liz Lumley, and Sharon O'Dea.
- Revolut officially announces expansion into cryptocurrency
- Square is unleashing crypto onto more of its user base
- THE CORE BANKING SYSTEM OVERHAULS REPORT: Why they're necessary, why most fail, and how to make them work
- FCA reveals next round of successful firms in its regulatory sandbox
- PSD2: Commission extends deadline for banks to meet new payment standards
- N26 launches a premium debit card for ‘the digital customer,’ partners with WeWork
- Why America could miss out big time on India’s fintech revolution
- Digital banking: a tough way to make money
- Danish homeless people now able to open bank accounts
- The ethereum world is now obsessed with breeding cartoon cats