113 News: Is Cash Dying?
In this episode In a fun packed episode, David is joined by regular guest Ghela Boskovich, alongside Edward Maslaveckas, Jeff Tijssen […]
In this episode
In a fun packed episode, David is joined by regular guest Ghela Boskovich, alongside Edward Maslaveckas, Jeff Tijssen and Gabrielle Inzirillo, who made her Fintech Insider debut, having only just stepped off the Eurostar from Paris.
The team discuss whether or not cash transactions are dying out in the UK thanks to the convenience of contactless payments – (1/3 of all card transactions are now contactless) – and the UK’s reduction in reliance on credit cards overall. Conversely, on the other side of the pond the US are now “hooked on credit”, is this the result of glamorous loyalty programmes or poor financial education?
They also debate whether or not the UK cares about challenger banks; what the implications are of Stripe going after the Chinese market with integration of Alipay; US’s reluctance to adopt APIs; Revolut’s move to take on the Asian market following major investment; and how freaked out you’d be if your ATM started sending you handwritten messages, along with much more.
- Ghela Boskovich – Founder and Global Ambassador, FemTech
- Edward Maslaveckas – CEO and Co-founder, Bud
- Jeff Tijssen – Head of Fintech and Partnerships, Capco
- Gabrielle Inzirillo – Founding Member, BNP Paribas, Plug and Play
News this week
- Business Insider – UK card payments overtake cash, but less bought on credit – Link –
- Business Insider – America is hooked on credit cards — and it’s pretty clear why – Link
- Finextra – Brits unmoved by new digital challengers – Link
- Guardian – Lloyds Bank brings in single overdraft rate in radical shake-up – Link
- Tech Crunch – Confirmed: London fintech Curve raises $10M Series A – Link
- Business Insider – Worldpay shares drop sharply after it agrees a £9.1 billion deal with Vantiv – Link
- Finextra – HSBC and Barclays join EU project to test the use of digital IDs for cross-border banking- Link
- Tech Crunch – Stripe adds support for Alipay and WeChat Pay, China’s top digital payment services- Link
- Finextra – Nacha sets sights on standardised APIs – Link
- BBC News– RBS agrees £3.65bn settlement over risky mortgages in US – Link
- CNBC – Revolut raises $66 million in venture capital investment; eyes expansion in Asia & US- Link
- Guardian – Texas man trapped inside ATM rescued after passing notes through receipt slot – Link
Special Guests: Edward Maslaveckas , Gabrielle Inzirillo, Ghela Boskovich, and Jeff Tijssen.