662. News: Shopify and Amazon's Cold War heats up
Kate Moody and Benjamin Ensor are joined by some great guests, from Betakit and Silicon Republic, to talk about the most interesting stories in financial services over the last 7 days, including: Shopify is picking a fight with Amazon, UBS scraps $1.4 billion deal to buy Wealthfront, and Japan decides it's time to stop using floppy disks.
Our expert hosts, Kate Moody and Benjamin Ensor, are joined by some great guests to talk about the most notable fintech, financial services and banking news from the past week.
This week's guests include:
- Douglas Soltys, Editor-in-Chief, BetaKit
- Elaine Burke, Editor, Silicon Republic
With soundclips from:
- Derek Joyce, COO, Alloy
We cover the following stories from the fintech and financial services space:
- Shopify is picking a fight with Amazon - 5:15
- Wayflyer secures €254m in debt financing from Credit Suisse - 17:40
- UBS scraps $1.4 billion deal to buy Wealthfront - 33:15
- New shared banking hubs to open in 13 more places in Great Britain and Northern Ireland - 43:25
- Identity decisioning fintech Alloy raises another $52 milion - 53:50
- OnlyFans profits boom as users spent $4.8bn on platform last year - 56:40
- Japan decides it's time to stop using floppy disks - 59:45
Get your tickets for Merge here.
This episode is sponsored by Tink
As the leading open banking platform, Tink enables the largest banks, lenders and payments providers to offer exceptional user experiences. Tink offers the best way to connect to banks across Europe, to build seamless services that can reach more than 250 million consumers. And they're already doing this for the likes of American Express, PayPal and Revolut. To get started with data-driven solutions for customer onboarding, making better risk decisions, or for instant bank payments with the highest conversion rate in the industry - visit tink.com
This episode is sponsored by LinkedIn
As you gear up for Autumn, you need the right people on your team to help your small business fire on all cylinders. LinkedIn Jobs is here to make it easier.
Tap into the world’s largest professional network with over 30 million people in the UK. Create a job post in minutes, and spread the word so your network can help you find the right people to hire. Just add the purple #Hiring frame to your LinkedIn profile. Simple tools, like screening questions, make it easy to find candidates with just the right skills and experience. It’s why small businesses rate LinkedIn Jobs #1 in delivering quality hires vs leading competitors.
LinkedIn Jobs helps you find the candidates you want to talk to, faster. And, you can post a job for free. Just visit Linkedin.com/FINTECH. Terms and conditions apply.
Fintech Insider by 11:FS is a podcast dedicated to all things fintech, banking, technology and financial services. It’s hosted by a rotation of 11:FS experts including David M. Brear, Simon Taylor, Jason Bates and Gwera Kiwana, as well as a range of brilliant guests. We cover the latest global news, bring you interviews from industry experts or take a deep dive into subject matters such as APIs, AI or digital banking.
If you enjoyed this episode, don't forget to subscribe and please leave a review
Follow us on Twitter: @fintechinsiders where you can ask the hosts questions, or email firstname.lastname@example.org!
Special Guests: Derek Joyce, Douglas Soltys, and Elaine Burke.
- Shopify Is Picking a Fight With Amazon
- Wayflyer secures €254m in debt financing from Credit Suisse
- UBS scraps $1.4 billion deal to buy Wealthfront
- New shared banking hubs to open in 13 more places in Great Britain and Northern Ireland
- Identity decisioning fintech Alloy raises another $52 milion
- OnlyFans profits boom as users spent $4.8bn on platform last year
- Japan decides it's time to stop using floppy disks