608. News: Russia removed from Swift as fintech community steps up for Ukraine
Benjamin Ensor and Sim Rai are joined by some great guests, from Anthemis and Zopa, to talk about the most interesting stories in financial services over the last 7 days, including: The West’s sanctions sever Russia’s economy from much of the world, wider fintech community responds to the invasion of Ukraine and Klarna’s widening losses driven by rapid expansion.
Our expert hosts, Benjamin Ensor and Sim Rai, are joined by some great guests to talk about the most notable fintech, financial services and banking news from the past week.
This week's guests include:
- Yann Ranchere, Partner, Anthemis
- Clare Gambardella, Chief Customer Officer, Zopa
With soundclips from:
- Ali Niknam, CEO, Bunq
We cover the following stories from the fintech and financial services space:
- The West’s sanctions sever Russia’s economy from much of the world - 1:54
- Wider fintech community responds to the invasion of Ukraine - 17:33
- Klarna’s widening losses driven by rapid expansion - 31:10
- Freetrade’s European expansion given the green light - 40:30
- Women overtake men in UK start-up volumes, NatWest data shows - 49:20
- Payhawk becomes Bulgaria's first ever unicorn - 50:50
This episode is sponsored by CompyAdvantage
What role will blockchain play in the future of financial services? How are innovative fintechs expanding access to online banking in Africa? And would more bankers in orange jumpsuits change the way money laundering is perceived? Subscribe to Uncover, the ComplyAdvantage podcast, to explore these questions and much more: https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/uncover/id1601611340
Fintech Insider by 11:FS is a podcast dedicated to all things fintech, banking, technology and financial services. It’s hosted by a rotation of 11:FS experts including David M. Brear, Simon Taylor, Jason Bates and Gwera Kiwana, as well as a range of brilliant guests. We cover the latest global news, bring you interviews from industry experts or take a deep dive into subject matters such as APIs, AI or digital banking.
If you enjoyed this episode, don't forget to subscribe and please leave a review
Follow us on Twitter: @fintechinsiders where you can ask the hosts questions, or email email@example.com!
Special Guests: Ali Nikman, Clare Gambardella, Sim Rai, and Yann Ranchere.
- The West’s Sanctions Barrage Severs Russia’s Economy From Much of the World
- Zopa pledges visas and relocation support for eligible Ukrainian nationals
- Bunq, Picnic and MessageBird tech entrepreneurs unite to provide aid for refugees
- Klarna’s widening losses driven by rapid expansion
- Freetrade’s European expansion given the green light
- Women overtake men in UK start-up volumes, NatWest data show
- Payhawk becomes Bulgaria's first ever unicorn