514. News: Fintechs face the dark side of BaaS & Nigerian challenger Kuda raises $25m
Adam Davis and Sarah Kocianski are joined by some great guests to talk about some of the most interesting stories of the last 7 days, including: One third of European fintechs have faced regulatory intervention because of their partner bank, Nigeria’s Kuda Bank raises $25m in Series A funding and Monty Python meets NFTs. All this and much more on today's Fintech Insider News.
Our expert hosts Adam Davis and Sarah Kocianski, are joined by some great guests to talk about the most notable fintech, financial services and banking news from the past week. This week's guests include:
- Charles McManus, CEO of Clear Bank
- Babs Ogundeyi, Founder and CEO of Kuda Bank
We cover the following stories from the fintech and financial services space:
- The dark side of BaaS: One third of European fintechs have faced regulatory intervention because of their partner bank 02:31
- Nigerian challenger Kuda Bank raises $25m in Series A funding 20:12
- OakNorth profits surge to £77.6m despite pandemic 36:22
- Comment from Valentina Kristensen, Director of Marketing and Comms at OakNorth 37:29
- Freetrade raises £50M 45:25
- Zopa raises £20 million after exceeding bank performance targets 53:25
- Comment from Jaidev Janardana, CEO of Zopa 54:27
- Monty Python gets in on NFTs 01:04:23
This episode is sponsored by Banking Circle
A fully licensed bank focused on payments, Banking Circle gives Financial Institutions and large corporates direct access to clearing in multiple countries, enabling them to deliver global payments faster and more cost-effectively for their customers. Bypass legacy systems, enable global banking services for your customers and grow your business.
Find out more at
Banking as a Service is deconstructing the banking stack.
It's enabling brands to embed finance more easily, and to tailor financial products to specific customer needs.
This is presenting new opportunities for specialised providers and offers banks extra revenue streams.
Download our report for a comprehensive, no BS view of what Banking as a Service is and what it means for the industry.
Head to bit.ly/bankingasaservice.
Fintech Insider by 11:FS is a podcast dedicated to all things fintech, banking, technology and financial services. Hosted by a rotation of 11:FS experts including David Brear, Simon Taylor, Jason Bates and Sarah Kocianski and joined by a range of brilliant guests, we cover the latest global news, bring you interviews from industry experts or take a deep dive into subject matters such as APIs, AI or digital banking.
If you enjoyed this episode, don't forget to subscribe and please leave a review
Special Guests: Babs Ogundeyi , Charles McManus, Jaidev Janardana, and Valentina Kristensen.
- ClearBank: Third of fintechs face regulatory scrutiny due to agency banking partners
- ClearBank | How well are fintechs served by banks?
- Nigerian challenger Kuda Bank raises $25m in Series A funding - FinTech Futures
- OakNorth profits surge to £77.6m despite pandemic
- Investment platform Freetrade raises £50m as homebound customers fuel revenue surge | Business News | Sky News
- Zopa raises £20 million after exceeding bank performance targets
- The Unnamed Artist on Twitter: "Hello! It is time you meet my alter ego "Unnamed Artist" I'm delighted to offer you the opportunity of a lifetime. I'm selling my 1st NFT. Though bidding starts at 100.00, you can “BUY IT NOW” for 69,346,250.50! https://t.co/Vuyx4trvPE https://t.co/aC4oSVfGHF" / Twitter
- John Cleese has an NFT bridge to sell you for $69.3 million - The Verge