449. News: Can fintech fast track our economic recovery?
Simon Taylor and Sarah Kocianski are joined by some great guests to talk about some of the most interesting stories of the last 7 days, including: The UK's Fintech industry is "firing on all cylinders" as big banks’ profits fall; we look at why investing is booming despite the pandemic; and JPMorgan Chase partner with Marqeta to offer virtual cards.
Simon and Sarah, are joined by some great guests to talk about the most notable fintech, financial services and banking news from the past week. This week's guests include:
- Charlotte Crosswell, CEO, Innovate Finance
- Viktor Nebehaj, CMO and co-founder, Freetrade
We cover the following stories from the fintech and financial services space:
- Fintech industry “firing on all cylinders” despite VC investment in UK fintechs down 39%
- Barclays profit halves as it sets aside another £1.6bn to cover COVID-19 losses
- Inside Britain's pandemic-era amateur investment boom
- Moneybox crowd funds £4M in 2 hours - and we hear from their co-founder Ben Stanway to tell us what this means for the future of Moneybox
- JPMorgan Chase partners with Marqeta to launch 'virtual' credit cards - and we spoke to Omri Dahan, Chief Revenue Officer at Marqeta to get their perspective on this.
- And finally: Antchain, a blockchain project under Ant financial group, hired a seniors citizens choir to perform a bespoke promo song, while dressed as ants.
Don't forget to check out our brand new research report identifying exactly how Banking as a Service is deconstructing the banking stack.
It's enabling brands to embed finance more easily, and to tailor financial products to specific customer needs.
This is presenting new opportunities for specialised providers and offers banks extra revenue streams.
Download our report for a comprehensive, no BS view of what Banking as a Service is and what it means for the industry.
Head to bit.ly/bankingasaservice. (specify link is all lower case)
If you listen to the show, whether this is your first episode, your 449th episode, or you dip in and out, we’d love it if you could take a few minutes to give us your feedback and suggestions to help shape the future of the show!
Visit bit.ly/FintechInsiderSurvey and fill out the short survey.
It shouldn’t take more than 5 mins to complete but it would mean so much to us.
Fintech Insider by 11:FS is a podcast dedicated to all things fintech, banking, technology and financial services. Hosted by a rotation of 11:FS experts including David Brear, Simon Taylor, Jason Bates and Sarah Kocianski and joined by a range of brilliant guests, we cover the latest global news, bring you interviews from industry experts or take a deep dive into subject matters such as APIs, AI or digital banking.
If you enjoyed this episode, don't forget to subscribe and please leave a review
Special Guests: Ben Stanway, Charlotte Crosswell, Omri Dahan, and Viktor Nebehaj.