439. News: Wirecard fallout - fintech’s Enron moment?
Sam Maule and David Brear are joined by some great guests to talk about some of the most interesting stories of the last 7 days, including: Wirecard “loses” €1.9 billion, the US banking sector is seeing huge growth, despite (or because of) the pandemic and Goldman Sachs’ CEO makes a cameo in 'Billions'.
Our expert hosts, Sam Maule and David Brear are joined by some great guests to talk about the most notable fintech, financial services and banking news from the past week. This week's guests include:
- Erika Lucas - CEO of StitchCrew
- Gerti Dervishi - Co-Founder and Chief Growth Officer at Flybits
- Jillian Williams - Investment Principal at Anthemis and head of BLCK VC NYC
We cover the following stories from the fintech and financial services space:
- Wirecard says €1.9bn of cash is missing and have now filed for insolvency (03:48)
- The US banking sector is seeing huge growth, despite (or because of) the pandemic (18:34)
- Global payments space hots up (36:00)
- Stories we didn’t have time to cover (52:23)
- Goldman traders mock CEO’s ‘cringeworthy’ cameo on TV show ‘Billions' (57:58)
*This podcast is brought to you by Jack Henry Digital * the pioneer and creator of personal digital banking that helps community financial institutions strategically differentiate their digital offerings from those of MegaBanks, BigTechs and FinTechs. So how do they do it? With their Banno Digital Platform—a complete, 100% API-enabled, open digital banking platform. You get beautiful, lightning-fast, native apps for your customers and members, and cloud-based, core-connected back office tools for your employees. You really have to see these products to fully understand the platform’s potential. Visit banno.com to schedule a demo.
Small business financial services are only 1% finished. Our latest research examines the Jobs to be Done and cultural insights on what US business owners need, and the digital services that will help them meet their goals. Download the research for free by heading to bit.ly/digitalsmb.
Fintech Insider by 11:FS is a podcast dedicated to all things fintech, banking, technology and financial services. Hosted by a rotation of 11:FS experts including David Brear, Simon Taylor, Jason Bates, Leda Glyptis and Sarah Kocianski and joined by a range of brilliant guests, we cover the latest global news, bring you interviews from industry experts or take a deep dive into subject matters such as APIs, AI or digital banking.
If you enjoyed this episode, don't forget to subscribe and please leave a review
Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/fintechinsiders where you can ask the hosts questions, alternatively email email@example.com!
Special Guests: Erika Lucas , Gerti Dervishi , and Jillian Williams .
- Wirecard says €1.9bn of cash is missing and have now filed for insolvency
- The US banking sector is seeing huge growth, despite (or because of) the pandemic
- Mastercard to purchase open-banking company Finicity for $825 million
- Verizon's new Visa card gives wireless customers more ways to save
- Samsung Reveals the new Samsung Pay Card, powered by Curve
- Brex hint at a team up with Apple
- Checkout.com triples valuation to $5.5 billion, making it one of Europe's top fintechs
- Brazil Central Bank ices Facebook's WhatsApp payment service
- Robinhood had an another outage following a tumultuous week
- Zopa primes credit card as long-awaited full banking licence granted
- Goldman traders mock CEO’s ‘cringeworthy’ cameo on TV show ‘Billions