431. News: Shopify’s stratospheric rise and foray into fintech
Sam Maule and David Brear are joined by some great guests to talk about some of the most interesting US news stories of the last 7 days, including: Shopify’s many new announcements and move into fintech; Bank of America leak exposes business details of PPP relief applicants as applications across the board decline; and Animal Crossing offers new ways for people to make money in lockdown.
Our expert hosts, Sam and David are joined by some great guests to talk about the most notable fintech, financial services and banking news from the past week. This week's guests include:
- Scott Harkey, Chief Strategy Officer & Head of Payments at Levvel
- Ben Metz, Sr Managing Director at Jack Henry
- Maia Bittner, Head of Business Operations at Chime
We cover the following stories from the fintech and financial services space:
- E-commerce platform Shopify to launch ‘Shopify Balance’ for businesses 05.42
- Afterpay Reaches Five Million Active Customers after Two Years in U.S. Market 16:33
- 2. Bank of America leak exposes business details of PPP relief applicants as applications across the board decline 22:00
- Raisin launches deposit solutions for US banks and credit unions - 30:59
- Aspiration raises $135 million 41:25
- New York stock exchange reopens… but with some changes 47:50
- Are we back at Animal Crossing again? I think so. 57:03
*This podcast is brought to you by Jack Henry Digital * the pioneer and creator of personal digital banking that helps community financial institutions strategically differentiate their digital offerings from those of MegaBanks, BigTechs and FinTechs. So how do they do it? With their Banno Digital Platform—a complete, 100% API-enabled, open digital banking platform. You get beautiful, lightning-fast, native apps for your customers and members, and cloud-based, core-connected back office tools for your employees. You really have to see these products to fully understand the platform’s potential. Visit banno.com to schedule a demo.
Small business financial services are only 1% finished. Our latest research examines the Jobs to be Done and cultural insights on what US business owners need, and the digital services that will help them meet their goals. Download the research for free by heading to bit.ly/digitalsmb.
Fintech Insider by 11:FS is a podcast dedicated to all things fintech, banking, technology and financial services. Hosted by a rotation of 11:FS experts including David Brear, Simon Taylor, Jason Bates, Leda Glyptis and Sarah Kocianski and joined by a range of brilliant guests, we cover the latest global news, bring you interviews from industry experts or take a deep dive into subject matters such as APIs, AI or digital banking.
If you enjoyed this episode, don't forget to subscribe and please leave a review
Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/fintechinsiders where you can ask the hosts questions, alternatively email email@example.com!
Special Guests: Ben Metz, Maia Bittner, and Scott Harkey.