429. News: Is it tough to be a challenger bank right now?
David Brear and Simon Taylor are joined by some great guests to talk about some of the most interesting stories of the last 7 days, including: The challenges facing challenger banks in the current climate, Freetrade’s record-breaking raise and PayPal sees a rise in 'silver tech' as older generations test digital payments for the first time. All this and much more on today's episode!
Our expert hosts, David Brear and Simon Taylor, are joined by some great guests to talk about the most notable fintech, financial services and banking news from the past week. This week's guests include:
- David Thomasson, CCO, MetroBank
- Simon Cureton, CEO of Funding Options
- Caroline Plumb - CEO and Founder of Fluidly
Kicking off the show, our panel focus on stories in regards to what it means to be a challenger bank in the current climate:
- Monzo faces near 40% valuation drop in latest fundraising 02:35
- Volt pulls IPO 13:36
- DBS to hire 2000 new staff 22:10
- Freetrade sets new Crowdcube record 26:41
- Cutaway from Freetrade CEO and Co-Founder Adam Dodds 27:28
We then take a look at some other stories from the fintech sphere:
- ANNA Money secures £17.5M funding for its SMB-focused business account 36:10
- Cutaway from ANNA Money Chief Design Officer and Co-Founder Daljit Singh 36:46
- PayPal sees a rise in 'silver tech' as older generations test digital payments 44:54
- Stories we didn’t have time to cover: 52:41
- JK Rowling And The Deathly Bitcoin Hellos 58:24
This podcast is brought to you by Mitek (NASDAQ: MITK). Mitek is a global leader in mobile capture and digital identity verification solutions built on the latest advancements in computer vision, artificial intelligence and machine learning. Mitek’s identity verification solutions enable an enterprise to verify a user’s identity during a digital transaction, which assists businesses operating in highly regulated markets to reduce financial risk and meet regulatory requirements while increasing revenue from digital channels. Financial services, marketplaces and other organizations around the world use Mitek to reduce friction creating the digital experiences their customers expect. Mobile Deposit® and Mobile Verify® are used by millions of consumers for check deposit, new account opening and more. The company is based in San Diego with offices in New York, London, Amsterdam, Barcelona, Paris and St Petersburg. Learn more at www.miteksystems.com.
This podcast is also brought to you by Equinix. Equinix is the world's largest data center & colocation provider, enabling fastest application performance, lowest latency and a digital ecosystem for financial services. Its platform of 200+ data centres worldwide protects, connects and empowers the mission-critical infrastructure for over 10,000 businesses.
This podcast is also brought to you by Salesforce. Right now, business leaders are re-thinking, re-assessing and re-purposing business as usual to deal with this new crisis. It’s a global conversation Salesforce is having called Leading Through Change. And it’s all about businesses relying on each other to achieve one simple goal: Help. Learn more at salesforce.com
Small business financial services are only 1% finished. Our latest research examines the Jobs to be Done and cultural insights on what US business owners need, and the digital services that will help them meet their goals. Download the research for free by heading to bit.ly/digitalsmb.
Fintech Insider by 11:FS is a podcast dedicated to all things fintech, banking, technology and financial services. Hosted by a rotation of 11:FS experts including David Brear, Simon Taylor, Jason Bates, Leda Glyptis and Sarah Kocianski and joined by a range of brilliant guests, we cover the latest global news, bring you interviews from industry experts or take a deep dive into subject matters such as APIs, AI or digital banking.
If you enjoyed this episode, don't forget to subscribe and please leave a review
Special Guests: Adam Dodds, Caroline Casey, Daljit Singh, David Thomasson, and Simon Cureton.
- Monzo faces near 40% valuation drop in latest fundraising | Financial Times
- Volt pulls plug on float, capital raising amid virus setback
- Australian challenger bank Volt abandons IPO plans and $50m fundraise - AltFi News
- DBS to hire 2000 new staff
- Freetrade sets new record on Crowdcube with $5m raise – FinTech Futures
- ANNA secures £17.5M funding for its SMB-focused business account and tax app | TechRadar
- PayPal sees a rise in older generations trying digital payments
- First Data agrees $40m FTC settlement
- ABN Amro shelves investment app
- Brex raises $150m
- SoftBank warns of no dividend after record $13bn loss | Financial Times
- NatWest launches ‘Island Saver’ as new research shows video games help to educate children
- JK Rowling and the deathly Bitcoin hellos – Fintech Direct