Foodie Fintech in a Flat: What Everyone Wants to be Doing
In a beautiful flat on the edge of San Francisco’s sun-kissed Inner Sunset neighbourhood, the inimitable Sam Maule invited a plethora of fintech experts over for dinner. Across two evenings in the run up to our After Dark San Francisco show, Sam serves up chilli, tacos, and foodie fintech insights. You can listen to them here and here.
Disclaimer: The food was actually cooked by Ollie Judge, Head of Media at 11:FS.
Cryptocurrency Chilli - Foodie Fintech Frisco Edition:Serves 8 -10. Preparation 30 mins. Simmer 2hrs. Reduce 30mins. Total Time 3hrs Ingredients: 250 g Smoked bacon lardons 2 kg Chuck Steak Diced 1 large red onion 3 cloves of garlic 1 jalapeño 1 Habanero 1 tbsp dried oregano 1 tbsp chilli powder 1 tbsp ground coriander 1 tbsp ground cumin 1 tsp ground cinnamon 1 tbsp salt 50g cornmeal 1 tbsp instant coffee 500ml IPA 500 g tinned tomatoes 25 ml veg oil
Best thing I've eaten in my life - Everyone everDirections:
- Preheat a deep pan to a medium heat and lightly oil before adding the bacon lardons, cook through and remove
- Throw in the chuck steak, just brown the meat and set it aside with the bacon and let them get friendly
- Dice the onion and let it sweat in the pan
- Take a large knife, crush each clove of garlic with the flat of the blade and add to the pan
- Thinly slice the jalapeño and habanero, shake out the seeds if you’re not good with the heat and add to the pan
- Combine the dry ingredients and add to the pan
- Pour in 330ml of the beer, drink the rest
- Add the tinned tomatoes
- Let the meat make a glorious return to the pan
- Simmer with the lid on
- Reduce with the lid off
- Plate it and press play, it’s like you were there.
Tasty Techie Tacos:Serves 8 - 10. Preparation 1hr30. Pico de Gallo Ingredients: 4 diced tomatoes ½ an onion, diced ¼ of fresh minced cilantro ½ a jalapeno, diced 1 lime Directions: Mix in a bowl. Super easy. If all you want is pico de gallo then you’re done. But I know you want more, you need more, you need to be the foodie fintech expert. Don’t worry, I’ve got you covered.
GuacamoleIngredients: 4 medium avocados ½ a seeded jalapeno ¼ of a spanish onion, chopped Juice of half a lime 2 tablespoons of cilantro/coriander Salt and pepper and cumin to taste Directions
- Scoop out the avocados and mash without the pit. Some people keep the pit in while they mash which is wrong on so many levels. But don’t bin it.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and mix
- Place a pit halfway so it won’t brown
Prawns:Ingredients: 1.5kg Uncooked Prawns 2 Lime (Juiced) 2 cloves of garlic 1 Jalapeno Any leftover cilantro/coriander Directions:
- Mix it all together in a bowl
- Let it marinate for about 20 minutes
- Chuck it in a pan on medium for about a minute
- Put it in a different bowl to serve
Steak:Ingredients: 3 x Skirt (New York strip) steak Salt & pepper to taste 1tsp paprika optional Directions:
- Marinate your meat as desired
- Oil a pan on medium heat
- Fry that slab of meat right up
- Use the thumb test to cook it to whatever level of doneness you prefer. Medium rare is when it’s as firm as your thumb when your thumb and middle finger are touching, also known as the way it should be done.
- Slice it into thin strips
- Put it in a clean bowl and serve
Somehow these tacos are even better than the chilli - Everyone with tastebuds
Aubergine/eggplant:Ingredients: 2 x aubergine/eggplant 25ml Olive Oil Salt/Red Pepper Flakes Directions:
- Slice your aubergines in half and season
- Cover in foil and oil
- Cook on medium heat for about 30 minutes
- Scoop out the insides
- Cut into meaty chunks
- Serve in a bowl so people can help themselves